Harmac operates within provincial and federal environmental requirements and has an excellent working relationship with the local regulatory agencies.
- Over $177 million has been spent on environmental control equipment in the past 20 years. These expenditures have resulted in significantly reduced emissions to air, water and land.
- There are no mandated environmental improvements required at this time.
Harmac Pacific Pulp Operations has a forest certification chain of custody program in place which has been successfully audited to both the FSC® and PEFC® forestry Certification Chain of Custody standards and is now able to offer products manufactured from FSC® Controlled Wood.
- View our Forestry Certification Chain of Custody Policy.
- View our PEFC Forestry Certification Chain of Custody Certificate.
- View our FSC Chain of Custody and Controlled Wood Certificate.
- View our Controlled Wood Risk Assessment.
- View our FSC Product Group Schedule.
Licenses and Permits
The following environmental permits and licenses provide for operation of a pulpmill at the Harmac site:
- Effluent permit - PE-01214
- Air permit PA - 02708
- Landfill permit - PR-02205
- River and well water licenses 109739, 109740, 109741, 109742, 109743
Certified Environmental Management System
Harmac Pacific's Environmental Management System has been certified to the ISO 14001 standard.
Environmental Improvements over the Past 20 Years:
- Sulphur gas emissions reduced by 90%
- Particulate emissions reduced by 60%
- Greenhouse gas emissions reduced by 58%
- Water consumption reduced by 50%